Sunday, March 29, 2009

Chill like the Snow Monkeys


Posing for my camera

I must admit, I am not really an avid animal lover. Other than the whale sharks in the Philippines for which I recently took two flights and a van ride just to snorkel with (it was an amazing experience by the way!), I have never travelled long distances for any other creature.

So I am a little surprised at myself for deciding to take a 3.5 hours trip* from Nozawa Onsen where I was snowboarding, to a relatively difficult-to-reach place called Jidokudani.....just to see a bunch of monkeys. Well, actually these were really not 'just a bunch of monkeys', but I do have to attribute my decision to embark on this leg of the journey largely to a guy named Michael Helbig**. I don't know him personally, but his wonderful series of photographs taken of the Snow Monkeys of Japan inspired me enough to want to capture the fascinating behaviour of these Japanese Macaque myself.

Munching on some flea I suppose...

The Snow Monkeys are so named because they reside in a place that is covered in snow for 1/3 of the year due to its high elevation of 850m. The area of Jigokudani, located in the valley of the Yokoyu River that flows from Shiga Kogen (also the largest ski resort in the northern part of Nagano prefecture), is also known as Hell's Valley because of the steep cliffs and hotspring.

Unfortunately, of all times, I was at Jigokudani at the start of the remaining 2/3 year where there is no more snow. The best time to visit them would be December to February since capturing these animated animals (note: not all animals are animated) in the most scenic snow environment would have been highly rewarding. Nevertheless I met a few nature photographers who had come from Australia and Europe to observe and photograph the amazing behavior of these highly intellectual animals, so that humbled my grand ambitions to an appreciation of nature for what it is at any point in time.

To me, there were 2 most interesting things about these Snow Monkeys. First, they resemble Japanese in one very particular way - They love to lounge. In hotsprings. In fact, they have an outdoor onsen all to themselves at the valley which they soak in everyday. Well, to me that sure doesn't sound anything like hell!



Who says only people know how to enjoy life??

And....these monkeys sure know how to pose!! One brochure introducing these monkeys read, "Photography of the monkeys by camera or video is possible. The monkeys do not mind camera flashes." Well, at least that sounds more obliging than some people I have come across. Judging from some of the pictures I have seen and taken, I believe these clever animals knew exactly what we humans were there at their habitat for. Rather than feeling intruded, they have decided to be totally nonchalant about our presence...at times even sparing us the agony of TRYING to capture their expressions at the right moments by, well, just simply staring right into our camera lens. Now, THAT is good modelling skills indeed! :)


Taking a nap after a dip in the hotspring...what a life!

If I have a chance, I would come back in the snow season to do this again. Meantime, I need to learn from these monkeys and just CHILL!

* The 3.5 hrs ride included a 1.5 hr bus from Nozawa Onsen to Nagano City, followed by a 1 hour train ride to Yudanaka & Shiga Onsen, and a 45min bus ride to Jigokudani.

8 comments:

  1. They are so cute & Great photos! I love the little guy/gal soaking in the onsen..yeah, what a life! :D
    Love,
    Ah Yi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give these monkeys another 250 years and they will walk right up to you and ask you for a copy of their family photo, sent to their email address... Yes! they are that smart :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meet Kathleen on the shores of the onsen where the macaques are taking their bath.
    She's a wondeful person, full of enthousiasm and talented photographer as well.
    Good luck Kathleen ! See you again in the paradise !


    Philippe the Australo-Frenchman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Philippe, it was really nice meeting you too! We had some laughs watching those macques didn't we?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathleen!
    It was wonderful meeting you and experiencing the way of tea with you in Kyoto. Good luck on your travels and endeavors to find authentic Japan! You've got some great pictures there~ I'll be sure to keep up with your entries. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Chelsea! Thanks for dropping in on my blog and your nice comments :) yeah, it was wonderful to meet you too, and I would be sure to write about the tea ceremony soon on my blog! have fun in Tokyo and see you soon1

    ReplyDelete
  8. sigh.... envious of the little furry monkeys. Perhaps pray to be reborn as a onsen monkey in my next life. Eat, soak, sleep everyday !

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete